Sunday, February 7, 2010

Please standby

I had plans for tackling some lab work, house work, and blog posts yesterday. Said plans fizzled out after I started feeling like crap, thanks to Paramed's bug, which also zapped all higher brain function. Sleeping 12 hours helped a great deal.

This morning I get an email from Guru wanting some data for a grant... due next week. I just started working on the project last month. Some of the data requires a little more processing and analysis but can be ready within a day. The other data is more problematic. The experiment has been done, but the data doesn't look great. No one in our lab has worked on this particular model, and it was my first time doing it, so things are far from perfect. I can try to salvage something from it, but it's not really grant quality material, in my opinion. As an aside, I explained the problem to Guru and received a response that there is an art to technique that is an integral part of the experiment, and I should talk to Jack and Jill who have experience with it. He couldn't mention that before I had already done the entire experiment.

Anyway, a critical element for repeating the experiment has been unavailable and was just ordered Friday. I think I'll be able to start the experiment about midweek, and then it will take 3 to 4 long days to crank through. I had already planned to repeat the experiment. Now I'm just doing it on a compressed timetable. So if I disappear from the blogosphere for the next week or two, it's not that I've fallen off the face of the planet. I'm just chained to my bench or sequestered in a dark windowless room, trying to hang on to my sanity.

Best of luck to everyone else this week!