Monday, January 18, 2010

The future of the Scientiae carnival

Scientiae is facing a crisis--where does it go from here.

If you're new to the blogosphere (and maybe even if you're not), Scientiae is a monthly carnival built around stories of and from women in STEM. It's been going for three years now, but of late, contributions have been dropping off. So what is to become of Scientiae? skookumchick writes:
So the question arises: is there still value to having Scientiae? Or should we shut it down as a great community-building tool whose time has come to be let go?
Several bloggers, including myself, would like to see it continue. Among the commenters, there are enough volunteers for hosting to cover almost the entire year. But jokerine comments:
The trouble is, just wanting to read it isn't enough. I want to read it too, but I hardly contribute anymore and I was a horrible host. Hosting isn't any fun if there are no submissions.
Carnivals die without contributions. In response, I have pledged to contribute to the carnival at least seven times in the next year, should it continue. I chose this number because of my blogging frequency and my interest in previous carnival topics. I also want to point out that, even though the focus of the carnival is women in STEM, anyone is invited to contribute. Learn more about the carnival, then voice, er type, your opinion about the fate of Scientiae. Personally I hope we can keep this community carnival going :)