Sunday, September 27, 2009

How to get your advisor interested in publishing

Wait for an upcoming grant submission deadline. Amazing how motivating this can be for a PI.

I've mentioned previously that I've been trying to get my last manuscripts from Bear's lab submitted. After my defense (almost a year ago now), there was no move to submit. Six months ago there was no sense of urgency. Then this summer he's suddenly interested. Submitting papers that he's been clinging to for five years. Getting after me to send him a polished, revised draft. Turns out his R01 is up for renewal again in the spring.

I guess this is one situation in which a trainee should be grateful for the competitive funding environment.

Now if only I can pitch the last manuscript's discussion in a way that (a) is supported by the data, (b) does not require outlandishly complex models, and (c) makes Bear happy... then all will be well and I may at last be done with my graduate work.